Paneer … the Indian version of cottage cheese .. I love it. Paneer dishes are very popular in northern parts of India. Paneer is used in salads, curries and desserts as well. Unlike most cheese, Paneer is very easy to make. Paneer has its nutritional value of being rich in protein as well. The recipe that I am sharing today is Achari Paneer. It uses 5 of the most famous spices you would find in most Indian pickles, and hence the name. I am sharing two variations of this recipe. The curry version could be enjoyed with Rotis, Parathas, Naans (Indian breads) or Rice. The dry version of this recipe could be used to make wraps.The tangy taste of this recipe is what I like the most. Try it out and leave me your feedback.
Ingredients for the Achari Paneer : (up to 4 servings)
Paneer Cubed – 2 cups
Onions (cut lengthwise) – 1/2 cup
Peppers (Green/Red/Yellow/Orange) – cut length wise up to 2 cups
2 tbsp 5 spices mixture – Fenugreek seeds, Fennel seeds, Cumin Seeds, Onion seeds, Mustard seeds
Turmeric powder – 2 tsp
Red chilli powder – 2 tsp (or acc to taste)
coriander powder – 2 tsp
fresh grated ginger – 2 tsp
fresh grated garlic – 2 tsp
Fresh Green Chillies – 2 tsp (or acc to taste)
Salt to taste
Whisked Yogurt @ room temperature – 1 cup for curry, 2 tbsp for wrap filling
Oil – 2 tbsp
Additional ingredients for the Wraps:
Rotis, Parathas, or any kind of tortilla you like for the wrap
cucumbers – finely chopped
tomatoes – finely chopped
Green Chutney Spread – acc to taste
Tamarind Chutney Spread – acc to taste
Tomato Ketchup – acc to taste
Chaat Masala – to sprinkle
For making the curry:
- Add oil to the pan and set to heat.
- Once heated add in the 5 spices mixture and roast till lightly brown.
- Now add in ginger, garlic and green chillies. Cook for 1 min and then add in the onions.
- Cook the onions till light brown.
- Now add in the peppers and roast them a little.
- Now add in turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder and cook for 1 min.
- Now add in the paneer cubes and toss the mix.
- Take the pan of heat, and sprinkle in some water to cool down the cooked mixture a bit.
- In the whisked yogurt add salt to taste. Mix well. Add this to the cooked mixture, keeping it off heat. Mix well. This will prevent the yogurt from curdling.
- Put the pan back on heat and cook on low heat for 1 – 2 mins covered.
- It’s ready to be savored.
- Use a cooked base to your liking.
- Spread the green chutney, tamarind chutney and tomato ketchup on the base.
- Now spread the Achari Paneer filling. Remember to spread the filling in the centre of the wrap. Also do not overfill. You need to make sure to fill in just enough to be able to wrap around well.
- Now toss in some lettuce, cucumbers, and tomatoes.
- Sprinkle some chaat masala.
- Wrap the base over. Use a toothpick to make sure it does not open. (if necessary)
- Make small-sized wraps and enjoy them as hors devors as party snacks