Being a native of North India, I have an uncanny fondness for the food from there :). Chaat being my all time favorite. The taste and richness of chaat in Northern parts of India is mesmerizing. I have tried numerous times, but failed to get that same taste. I will have to live with this for now I guess :). In this post I am sharing with you the recipe of ‘Hariyali (green) Tikki (patties) with Imli (tamarind) Chole (chick peas). This is very easy to make and is very delicious. Try it out and share your comments.
Ingredients for the Tikki (patties):
3 – 4 medium-sized boiled & mashed potatoes
1 cup blanched spinach (squeeze out as much water as you can)
1 cup blanched & mashed peas
1 cup fresh coriander leaves (finely chopped)
green chilies – to taste (finely chopped)
chaat masala – to taste
salt – taste
bread crumbs (this is for binding. add as needed)
Oil for shallow frying
Ingredients for the Imli Chole (Chick peas):
2 cups boiled Chick peas
2 tsp oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp red chili powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp asafoetida
1/2 cup tamarind and dates chutney (for tangier taste add more)
water – to adjust the consistency
salt to taste
For making Tikkis (patties):
- Toss all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix well.
- Make small patties by placing the above mixture in between your palms of desired shape.
- Grease a frying pan lightly with oil. Place the prepared patties in the frying pan and cook them on both sides till they are golden brown.
- In a wok add the oil. Once the oil is hot add the cumin seeds and asafoetida.
- Once the seeds start to crackle, add coriander and red chili powder and stir.
- Now add the tamarind and dates chutney. Cook for 1 min.
- Now add the chick peas and salt. Add water to this to adjust the consistency. Bring it to a boil.
- Place the cooked patties on a plate and spread the cook chole over them.
- You could also serve it with some whipped yogurt and green chutney.
- Sprinkle some sev over this to get the crunch taste.