I was first introduced to Middle Eastern food when I was in Erie. I was surprised to realize its similarities to Indian food to some extent. Falafel, Hummus, Cous Cous, mejadra are some of my favorites. Today I am sharing with you a recipe of Falafel that I tried. I baked these instead of frying. I hate frying as it’s not so healthy and it buzzes the smoke alarm in my apartment whenever I try to fry. Why fry when you can bake :-). The main ingredient of Falafel is chickpeas, which is very rich in iron. I have used Falafel in wraps, Cous Cous salad, and today sharing this recipe of Falafel on baguettes. Give this recipe a try and share your feedback with me.
Here is what You’ll need:
1 cup boiled/canned chick peas
2 cloves of garlic (finely chopped)
1 red onion
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 tsp grated ginger
1 cup fresh cilantro
1 tsp baking powder
salt to taste
green chillies according to taste
1 tbsp oil
For the garnish:
1 cup finely chopped cucumber (seeded)
1 cup finely chopped tomatoes
1 cup finely chopped lettuce
salt to taste
2 tsp lemon juice
1 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
hot chill sauce (if desired)
tangy yogurt sauce (mix together – 1/2 cup yogurt , 1 tbsp tahini paste, 1 tbsp lemon juice, salt to taste)
1 Baguette – cut in small slices (whole grain, french or to your taste)
How to make it:
- Pre – heat the oven at 415 deg F.
- Grind chickpeas, green chillies, red onion, garlic, ginger, cumin seeds, fresh cilantro, and oil in a food processor. Do not add any water.
- Now in a mixing bowl add the above mixture, baking powder, and salt to taste.
- Mix well and leave it in the refrigerator for 10 min.
- Make small patties out of this mixture and place them on a baking dish.
- Spray some cooking spray and place the dish in the oven.
- After 10 min turn over the patties to cook them on the other side.
- Cook for approximately 10 min. Keep an eye on them.
- Once they are golden brown on both sides take them out of the oven.
After the falafel is cooked place the slices of the baguette on the baking dish and bake them for 5 minutes.
Mix all the ingredients of the garnish excel hot chilli sauce and the tangy yogurt sauce.
How to relish it:
- Place the falafel patties on the toasted baguette.
- Spread the garnish over.
- Pour some tangy yogurt sauce and hot chilli sauce
- You could use wheat pita pockets instead of baguette. There is no need to bake the pita pockets. Keep everything else the same.