Finally I get some time to get back to writing :). I wish I could do it more often. I plan on making it a habit :).
Pizza! In India it was a ‘Sunday’ special meal. Here in US, it became a norm :). Weekend dinners, free pizza parties at school, sunday night football games (yes I did get hooked on to watching football :)) and lunch meetings at work. Not to forget weekday lunch outings to pizza buffets with my teammates at work. Slowly I learnt about the several varieties of pizzas.
During my first trip to Seattle, my friends took me to a restaurant that sold Indian style pizza – Pizza with Indian curry flavors and ingredients. It was finger licking. I had to wait for 4 years after that to relish another series of India style pizzas after moving to Bay Area. At a small Pizza joint I was introduced to a wide range of pizzas made with indian food toppings. It is now one of my favorite pizza joints.
Today I am sharing with you the recipe of the first ever Pizza I tried to make :). I made a paneer tikka masala flavored pizza. It did not taste like the restaurant’s, but I am happy with the first attempt. I am hoping to keep trying and get better at it.
Give this recipe a try and leave me your comments. Have a great holiday season.
Ingredients (for a Pizza wich renders up to 8 slices)
1 slab of Paneer (Cut into small squares. You can find this in any Indian grocery store in the freezer section)
1 cup red onions (cut into square pieces)
1 cup green bell pepper (cut into square pieces)
1/2 cup red bell pepper (cut into square pieces)
1/2 cup yellow bell pepper (cut into square pieces)
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 cup hung yogurt (or use greek yogurt instead)
2 tbsp coriander powder
1 tbsp red chili powder
2 tsp cumin seeds
2 tbsp oil
1 tbsp chaat masala
salt to taste
1 tbsp tandoori masala
1 tsp kasoori methi (dried fenugreek leaves. toast them in the microwave for 15 sec)
4 tbsp fresh cilantro (finely shopped)
Pizza dough ( I used store-bought wheat pizza dough. The dough should be at room temperature.)
Flour for dusting the surface
Mozzarella cheese (grated – for garnishing)
1 – 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- The first step is to marinate the paneer and the veggies. In a mixing bowl, add the yogurt and whisk till all lumps are gone. Now add paneer, all the bell peppers, onions, salt, red chili powder, coriander powder, chaat masala, tandoori masala and 2 tbsp cilantro leaves. Stir lightly and mix well. Keep it to refrigerate for at least 30 mins.
- Once the above mixture is marinated the next step is to make the curry.
- In a pan add the oil. Once heated add the cumin seeds. Once the seeds start to crackle add the tomato paste and some salt to taste. Cover and cook the paste till you see oil leave the sides.
- Now add the marinated paneer mixture. Add the kasoori methi leaves. Stir lightly and mix well. Cook for 3 – 5 mins.
- Start pre-heating the oven at 350 deg F.
- Dust some flour on a surface and knead the dough lightly. Use more flour as needed until the dough is not sticky. Now start rolling the dough.
- Roll out based on the size of the baking sheet. Then place the dough on the baking sheet. Using a fork punch some holes in the rolled out dough.
- Now spread the prepared curry evenly, leaving the edges. Sprinkle some cheese and place the pizza in the oven for baking.
- Bake the pizza until the edges are brown. It will take ~ 15 – 20 mins.
- Take the baked pizza out of the oven and sprinkle some fresh lemon juice and cilantro leaves.