Hello readers. I hope you all are having a great start to the new year. It was time for me to take a break from my routine and get back to blogging. Today I bring to you a healthier version of one of my favorite north indian recipes, called ‘Kadhai Paneer’. However, this recipe is made with tofu instead of paneer. Tofu is very rich in protein and provides me with the essential nutrients that I miss due to my meatless diet. I first started using tofu out of necessity, as I did not have access to paneer. Ever since, I fell in love with it and I never miss a chance to use it in my cooking.
This recipe is a medley of bell peppers and tofu and covered with spicy tomato gravy. Rich in Vitamin C and protein, this dish is pleasing to the palette too. I hope you give this recipe a try. Bon Appetit!!
1 pack extra firm Tofu (340 g pack, cut in small cubes. Rinse the tofu thoroughly. Then pat it dry using a dry muslin cloth or paper napkin)
1 cup red onions (small bite sized cubes)
1.5 cups tomatoes (finely chopped)
1.5 cups bell peppers (use a variety if you can. cut in small bite sized cubes)
2 tsp ginger paste
2 tsp garlic paste
3 -4 (or to taste) green chilies (finely chopped)
2 tbsp oil
2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp asafoetida
1 tbsp coriander powder
2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp red chili powder
Salt (to taste)
2 tbsp tomato ketchup
2 tsp Kitchen King Masala (available in Indian grocery stores)
1 tsp Kasoori Methi (Dried fenugreek leaves. Microwave it for 15 sec and crush them with your fingers)
cilantro (finely chopped for garnish)
- In a wok add the oil and let it heat. Once hot add the cumin seeds and asafoetida. Once the cumin seeds start to crackle add in the green chilies, and ginger and garlic paste. Cook till they turn golden brown.
- Now add the onions. Keep stirring and cook them till they are golden brown.
- Now add the bell peppers. Cook them till they are half done. These taste better when they are crunchy.
- Now add in the chili, turmeric, and coriander powder. Mix well and cook for 2 minutes.
- Now add the tomatoes and salt. Stir and cooked this covered until you see the oil leave the sides.
- Now add the tomato ketchup, kasoori methi, kitchen king masala and tofu pieces. Stir lightly till all the tofu cubes are covered with the curry. Cook for about a minute.
- Switch off the stove and garnish with fresh cilantro.
Tips for serving
- Relish this dish with any bread of your choice – Naan, Rotis, Parathas etc
- I have eaten this with couscous too