Hello readers! Long time no see :). It seems like my blogging pattern is similar to that of a sine wave. My blogging has periodic peaks and troughs. I have finally come out of the trough and want to stay out of it to the best of my ability.
The monsoon season is in full swing in Mumbai (my birthplace). Today I bring to you a recipe of a snack that is a perfect accompaniment on a cold rainy evening. The main ingredients of this dish are puff pastry sheets and paneer. These are baked bite sized snacks, super easy to make and are delectable. They make a good party snack too. Serve this with chutney or tomato ketchup or any pesto of your liking. Try this recipe out and impress your guests.
Ingredients for paneer pinwheels (yield’s 10 -12 )
2 count puff pastry sheets (~ 10″ X 15″)
0.5 gm fresh paneer (crumbled)
1/2 cup onion (finely chopped)
1 tbsp ginger (freshly grated)
2-3 green chillies (finely chopped)
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp asafoetida
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp coriander powder
2 tsp chaat masala
2 tbsp tomato ketchup
salt to taste (keep in mind that chaat masala and ketchup will already have some salt)
2-3 tbsp cilantro (finely chopped)
Ingredients for cilantro-mint chutney (pesto)
1 bunch Fresh Cilantro (I just cut the roots out)
5 – 6 hot green chillies (adjust it according to your spice level)
salt to taste
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp cumin seeds
peeled ginger (1″)
3 – 4 strands of fresh mint leaves
lemon juice to taste
2 tbsp roasted peanuts (de-skinned)
2 tbsp fresh grated coconut
1/2 cup water to grind (use little at once to ovoid runny consistency)
Method for making pin wheels
First prepare the paneer filling:
- In a pan add the oil. Once hot, add the asafoetida, mustard seeds, chillies and ginger.
- Once the ginger is light brown, add the onions. Cook the onions until they are golden brown.
- Now add turmeric and coriander powder. Cook for 2 mins.
- Now add the paneer, chaat masala, ketchup and salt.
- Mix well and cook for 2 – 3 mins. Turn off the heat and add the cilantro leaves. Mix well and let the mixture cool down to room temperature.
For assembling the pin wheels:
- Flatten the pastry sheet.
- Spread the paneer filling on the sheet, leaving about 05.” around the edges. Use your judgement and be mindful of not overfilling.
- Now start with the long edge and roll up the sheets.
- Once you reach the other edge, apply some water for the ends to stick.
- Press lightly along the length of the rolled sheet.
- Now using a serrated knife cut round pieces according to your desired thickness.
- Spread parchment paper on the baking sheet and lay out the cut pin wheel on the sheet. Spray some oil on these. Bake these in a pre-heated over @ 350 deg F for ~ 20 – 30 mins. Keep an eye to watch that they don’t over cook.
Method for making cilantro chutney
Grind all the above ingredients in a blender or food processor using as little water as you can.
- You can use boiled potatoes/sweet potatoes as an alternate filling.
- Another side that will complement these is a hot cup of masala chai 🙂