Summer marks the beginning of barbecue season. You will see grills firing up in parks, beaches, house porches and decks and tailgates. What I love about grilled food are the charred grill marks and the flavor of smoke. Today I bring to you the comfort food from summer – a recipe for a burger. This burger is gluten free, packed with protein and tons of vegetable goodness. The spicy sun-dried tomato and basil aioli was perfect spread to dress these burgers. The burger patties were little on the softer side. I don’t know if I could have done something different to make these crunchier. Looking forward to your advice/comments.
Ingredients for burger sun-dried tomatoes and basil aioli
1/2 cup packed fresh basil
3 tbsp sun-dried tomatoes
red chili flakes (adjust according to taste)
1/2 – 3/4 cup mayonnaise
Ingredients for burger (yield’s 6 – 7 burgers)
1 cup uncooked Quinoa (cook according to package instructions )
1 red onion med-size (roughly chopped)
1 zucchini (grated thickly)
1 small carrot (grated thickly)
2 small sweet potatoes (boiled and mashed)
3-4 green chilies (adjust according to your taste)
1/2 cup colored peppers (roughly chopped)
1/2 cup bread crumbs
2 tsp soya sauce
salt to taste
burger buns (of your choice)
Method for aioli
Add the ingredients of aioli in a food processor and blend together.
Method for burger patties
- In a saute pan add oil.
- Once hot add the onions and chilies. Cook until onions are translucent.
- Now add the colored peppers, zucchini and carrots. Cover and cook until they shrink.
- Now add the mashed sweet potatoes, quinoa soya sauce and salt.
- Close heat, ad breadcrumbs and mix well.
- Once the mixture has cooled down, form burger patties by placing the cooked mixture between your palms.
- Cook the patties on a hot grill by using some oil. Once almost done, place the cheese slices on the cooked burgers.
- Toast the burger buns.
- Spread the aioli on the buns, place the patty and enjoy!
- You can use lettuce, tomatoes and pickled veggies to layer your burger.