Looking for a quick bite? Thinking of making something to impress your guests? Thinking of some fresh ideas for the next potluck? I bring to you the answer to all these questions. In my kitchen this recipe emerged out of lack of ingredients at hand and the need to make something quick. The end result was surprisingly pleasing to the taste buds. Puff pastry sheets and peas are the main ingredients of this recipe. These make a good appetizer or a tea time snack. Hope you include this in the menu of your next party 🙂
Ingredients (yields 12 pies)
1 puff pastry sheets (~ 10″ X 15″) (Note: These should be thawed prior to using)
2 cups peas (boiled and crushed coarsely)
1/2 cup onion (finely chopped)
1 tsp oil & some to grease the baking dish
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp asafoetida
1 tbsp coriander powder
1 tsp chili powder
2-3 green chilies (finely chopped)
1 tsp fresh grated ginger
salt to taste
2 tsp sugar
2-3 tsp fresh lemon juice
finely chopped fresh cilantro
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 F.
- Heat the oil in a pan. Once hot, add the mustard and cumin seeds. Once the seeds start to crackle, add asafoetida, ginger and green chilies.
- Now add the onions. Cook them until they are translucent.
- Now add the coriander powder, chili powder, peas, salt and sugar. Mix well.
- Turn off the heat and add the lemon juice and cilantro.
- Place this mixture to cool down.
Assembling the pies:
- Grease a muffin/cup cake pan with some oil.
- Cut 12 squares out of the puff pastry sheet.
- lay each square in one slot. Use your fingers to stretch the dough along the sides of the pan.
- Place about 1.5 tbsp of the peas mixture in each slot.
- Once all the slots are full place the tray in the oven.
- These will cook in less than 10 mins. Once you see the puff pastry turn golden brown they are ready.
Serve with your choice of chutney or ketchup.
- You can replace the puff pastry with a slice of bread. Cut the edges of the bread slice and flatten the slice using a rolling-pin. Then place this rolled slice in the muffin slot.