Raise your hands who love to devour Maggie noodles 🙂 (Read more here: https://www.maggi.in/two_minutes_maggi_noodles.aspx) . I raise both my hands. Maggie is instant noodles (ready in 2 mins) with Indian flavors. As a child I loved eating this, however, mom put strong hold on our intake of Maggie. I am sure mom had the right reasons to do so.
Today I bring to you my Nani’s (Grand-mom’s) version of Maggie – or so she called them :). One summer we were in Uttar Pradesh, at my Nani’s place. Me being a prankster when it came to eating, I insisted that I want to eat Maggie. My Nani prepared this dish for me, using vermicelli and vegetables. Hesitant at first, in no time, I gobbled it down and told her that “these taste better than Maggie”. Since then these became part of our weekend breakfast/brunch routine. Hope you all enjoy this recipe.
3 tbsp oil
3 cups vermicelli (I use Bambino brand)
1 tsp urad daal
1 tsp dalia (roasted chana daal)
2 tsp mustard seeds
2-3 curry leaves
1 tsp asafoetida
2-3 green chilies (finely chopped)
1 medium-sized onion (finely chopped)
1 cup chopped colored peppers
1/2 cup carrots (roughly grated)
2 tbsp corn kernels
2 tbsp small sweet peas
2 tsp red chili powder
2 tbsp cashews (roughly chopped)
salt to taste
3 cups water
juice of one lemon (fresh preferred)
fresh chopped cilantro to garnish
- Roast the vermicelli using 1 tbsp oil. I like to roast them until they are medium brown.
- Bring 3 cups of water to boil.
- Now in a pan add the remaining 2 tbsp oil. Once hot add asafoetida, mustard seeds, curry leaves, urad daal, dalia nad green chilies. Cook until to hear the mustard seeds crackle.
- Now add the onions. Cook until they are golden brown.
- Now add all the vegetables. Stir continuously and cook for 3-5 mins, until the vegetables are half done.
- Now add the roasted vermicelli, cashews, red chili powder and salt. Stir and mix well.
- Turn down the heat, and add boiled water little bit at a time. Be careful, as the water might splutter. You only need water enough to cover the vermicelli and veggie mixture. Mix well and cook covered on medium heat. Cook until the water is soaked.
- Turn off the heat and add the lemon juice and cilantro.
- Sprinkle some spicy sev. They pair well with vermicelli.